- Lessons build on prior knowledge and link to future learning
- Clear progressive, knowledge based curriculum adapted from the ‘You, Me. PSHE’ and Kapow schemes.
- Elaborative questioning to challenge pupils to apply their learning in a range of ways and reflect on their thinking.
- Trips and visits to enhance knowledge and understanding
- High expectations of writing in PSHE and RSE matching that of English
- High expectations in the quality of discussion, responses and work produced
- A large emphasis on the ‘bigger picture’ of PSHE and RSE, encouraging children to find answers for the questions that they raise.
- Recording of learning for recap and progression in floor books.
- Specify key vocabulary to be used and its meaning.
- Provide opportunities for the children to work interactively with the teacher acting as the facilitator.
- Opportunities for curriculum adaption and challenge, pre-teaching and interventions for those children who may require it, including those with SEN, throughout a topic or prior to a new topic being taught.